Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies
Classic rolled and cut out cookies for any holiday or just because it's a Tuesday!
- 1/2 Cup Shortening Crisco is best. Butter flavored if you can find it.
- 3/4 Cup White sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 tsp Dry grated orange peel
- 2 Cups White Flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2-3 Tab Milk
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Add egg and beat well.
- Add vanilla and orange peel.
- Add dry ingredients. Mix well. Add milk a little at a time until dough is soft and will hold its shape. A bit like the consistency of modeling clay.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill several hours.
- Roll 1/8 inch thick on lightly floured surface. Cut in shapes using cookie cutters of your choice. Sprinkle with sugar or leave plain to frost and decorate later.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Leave on pan for about 8 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.